Steven M. Friedman, Esq. is the founder and CEO of Friedman Advisors, LLC. Steve has more than 35 years of experience in advising publicly and privately held single family and multifamily residential real estate development, construction, management and investment clients. An accomplished tax advisor, Steve’s principal areas of expertise include mergers and acquisitions, the structuring of transactions, restructurings, and cross-border and multinational real estate investment and finance. He is a graduate of Georgetown University (B.S.B.A.) and the Fordham University School of Law (J.D.). Steve is a member of the Counselors of Real Estate, a fellow of the Homer Hoyt Institue and a fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. He is an active member of the Urban Land Institute, where he currently is a vice chair of the Residential Neighborhood Development Council (Gold). A frequent speaker and author, Steve has lectured at numerous programs and institutes, including recent program offerings by The William & Mary Tax Conference, The National Multi Housing Council, The Urban Land Institute, the District of Columbia Bar, Builder Presidential Summit and Builder 100, the California and Florida Bars, The Pacific Coast Builders Conference (PCBC), NAHB’s International Builders’ Show and the American Bar Association Real Estate Tax Committee.
Who We Are
We’re a boutique advisory firm, providing real estate advisory and tax consulting services to our clients.
We focus only on providing those services we do well.
How We Work
We strive to provide insights to help our clients make informed real estate- and tax-related decisions. Our initial step is to always listen to our clients and engage in a thoughtful dialog.
Our service delivery model is focused on the client:
- Initial discussion – what are your goals and what are the challenges you face in achieving those objectives
- Proposed action plan – how we can help, timing, appropriate milestones, our service delivery products and related fees
- Implementation, with timely consultation and work-product drafts (if appropriate) as we move forward
- Projection completion and work-product delivery
- Summary evaluation: Did we meet your expectations?
Why Work With Us
- Experienced professionals. You’ll deal only with senior professionals with deep industry knowledge; no young staff learning at your expense.
- Responsiveness. We’ll meet your deadlines.
- No bureaucracy. You’ll never hear us say, “I have to check with our national office.”
Significant transactional experience
- Structured partnership interest contributions to REIT operating partnerships
- Financial restructuring of homebuilders through the bankruptcy process.
- Financial restructuring of homebuilders and land development companies outside of the bankruptcy process.
- Structured the sale of privately held regional home builders to NYSE-listed buyers.
- Due diligence for a regional home builder in its sale to a NYSE-listed buyer.
- Structured the acquisition of regional home building companies by a “Builder Top 10” publicly-traded homebuilder.
- Structured the sale of divisions of a large homebuilder to five different homebuilding companies.
- Structured the acquisition of a NYSE-listed homebuilder by another NYSE-listed builder.
- Structured the first multiple investor fund for a homebuilder “gap” financing targeted at institutional equity capital.
- Structured, for a merchant banking client, the acquisition and operation of a Southern California home building operation.
- Performed financial due diligence on more than 12 successful acquisitions closed by a publicly held homebuilder.
- Performed real estate and financial due diligence on more than 18 acquisitions of homebuilders, involving a total purchase price in excess of $8.5 billion.